Developing Visual FoxPro Applications
Visual FoxPro provides an extensive set of tools and technologies making it possible to rapidly build flexible solutions with powerful data handling capabilities. The rapid application development environment helps you with all aspects of application development.
To develop applications using Visual FoxPro
- Plan your application before starting. Numerous considerations make application development much easier if they are addressed from the start — for example, choosing a data store, security, and schema. For more information, see Application Planning.
- Create your application. For more information, see Creating the Application.
- Design and build your database to create effective applications with indexes, tables, and databases based on your data requirements. For details, see Working with Data.
- Create the user interface for your application. Using Visual FoxPro forms, classes, controls, menus, and toolbars, you can build interfaces that help users gain access to the full potential of your programs. For details, see Creating the User Interface.
- Add online Help to your application to reduce the amount of time required to train and support users. For details, see Creating Help.
- Build your application by compiling the code. You can create your applications one piece at a time, verifying each component as you go, and then compile them into an application. For details, see Compiling an Application.
- Debug your code and create error handlers. The best results come from writing understandable and maintainable code and using the available debugging tools. For more information, see Testing and Debugging Applications.
- Prepare your application for distribution by including all required files and creating distribution disks. For more information, see Distributing Applications.
In This Section
- Application Planning
- Provides links to information to help you carefully plan your applications, including design, architecture, and security considerations.
- Creating the Application
- Describes the basic steps involved in creating an application and provides links to other information on the process.
- Creating Web Services and Components
- Provides links to information on extending applications to make them work for multiple users.
- Working with Data
- Provides information to help you create effective applications by analyzing data requirements and designing your application components to meet those needs.
- Enhancing Applications using SQL Pass-Through Technology
- Provides links to topics that discuss techniques for implementing client/server technology in a working application that uses remote views.
- Compiling an Application
- Provides links to information on building applications, referencing modifiable files, and building the application file from your project.
- Testing and Debugging Applications
- Discusses testing and debugging as necessary stages in the development cycle, and the various levels of robustness that developers look for as they test and debug.
- Distributing Applications
- Provides information on preparing to distribute your application by including all required files and creating distribution disks.
- Using Visual FoxPro
- Discusses the Visual FoxPro programming environment and tools that help you create and manage high-performance database applications and components.
- Programming in Visual FoxPro
- Describes how understanding object-oriented programming and the event-driven model can maximize your productivity and enable you to access the full power of Visual FoxPro.
- Optimizing Applications
- Provides information on how to get the best performance from your operating system, Visual FoxPro, and your application.