Database Maintenance Plan (Transaction Log Backup Tab)
Use this tab to make backup copies of the transaction log, protecting against data loss in the event of a failure.
Back up the transaction log of the database as part of the maintenance plan
Back up the transaction log as part of regular maintenance tasks. Backing up the transaction log is important in case the database must be restored to a specific point in time. Selecting this option makes the following options available.
Verify the integrity of the backup upon completion
Check that the backup set is complete and that all volumes are accessible if you execute the Transact-SQL statement, RESTORE VERIFYONLY.
Back up the transaction log to the specified tape device. The tape device is attached to the computer that contains the Microsoft® SQL Server™ transaction log that is being backed up.
Back up the transaction log to the disk located on the computer that contains the SQL Server transaction log being backed up.
- Use the default backup directory
- Back up the database to the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP disk directory located on the computer running the instance of SQL Server being backed up.
- Use this directory
- Back up the database to the specified disk directory located on the computer that contains the SQL Server database being backed up. Click the browse (...) button to change the default disk directory used to back up the database. You can select drives only on the computer that contains the SQL Server database that is being backed up.
- Create a subdirectory for each database
- Create a subdirectory under the specified disk directory that contains the database backup for each database being backed up as part of the maintenance plan.
- Remove files older than
- Delete database backups that are older than the specified period automatically. It is recommended that you maintain a history of database backups in the event that the database must be restored to a point in time earlier than the last performed backup. Retain as many backups as disk space allows and as far in the past from which you may need to restore, depending on business practices.
Backup file extension
Specify the file name extension used for each file containing the database backup. The default file extension is .bak.
Set the frequency at which the transaction log backup tasks (scheduled using SQL Server Agent) are executed. The default is every day, except Sunday, at 12:00 midnight.
Display the Edit Recurring Job Schedule dialog box, where you can change the default schedule.