Drawing and Editing Images
GDI+ for the .NET Framework is a class-based application programming interface (API) for programmers using managed code. It enables applications to use graphics and formatted text on both the video display and the printer. Applications based on the Microsoft® Win32® API do not access graphics hardware directly. Instead, GDI+ interacts with device drivers on behalf of applications. GDI+ is also supported by the 64-bit Windows® operating system.
GDI+ can be used in all Windows-based applications. GDI+ is new technology that is included in the Microsoft® Windows® XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems. It is required as a redistributable for applications that run on the Windows NT® 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition operating systems.
The GDI+ API is designed for use by programmers using languages that follow managed-code protocols. Familiarity with the Windows graphical user interface and message-driven architecture is required.
The Gdiplus.dll must be copied to the system directory of the user's computer. For information about which operating systems are required to use a particular API element, see the Requirements section of the documentation for the API element. GDI+ is available as a redistributable for Windows NT 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows Me. To download the latest redistributable, go to http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdkredist.htm.
For information about related technologies, download the Core SDK or DirectX SDK from SDK Update at http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/.
In This Section
- About GDI+ Managed Code
- Describes GDI+ managed code.
- Using GDI+ Managed Classes
- Explains how to use GDI+.
- Provides access to GDI+ basic graphics functionality.
- Provides advanced two-dimensional and vector graphics functionality.
- Provides advanced GDI+ imaging functionality.
- Provides advanced GDI+ typography functionality. The classes in this namespace allow users to create and use collections of fonts.
- Provides documentation about the GDI+ C++ API.
- Windows GDI
- Provides documentation about the Windows graphics device interface.
- Provides documentation about the Microsoft® DirectX® API.
- Image Color Management (ICM)
- Provides documentation about the color management scheme for Microsoft Windows.
- Provides documentation about OpenGL.
- Windows Multimedia
- Provides documentation about Windows Multimedia.