What are the Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure APIs?
The Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure is a set of several APIs that are powerful and flexible. The major components include the following:
- Peer-to-Peer Graphing API
- Peer-to-Peer Grouping API
- Peer-to-Peer Identity Manager API
- PNRP Namespace Provider API
The Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure provides a graphing technology that can pass information efficiently and reliably between peers in a peer-to-peer graph. The Peer-to-Peer Graphing API ensures that each node has a consistent view of the data in a graph.
You can use the Peer-to-Peer Graphing API to do the following:
- Create and manage peer-to-peer graphs
- Enumerate and interact with other peers in a peer-to-peer graph
- Send data in the form of a record to each node in a peer-to-peer graph
- A multiplexing layer that allows multiple applications running on one peer-to-peer entity to connect to a group
- A specific security model that ensures only peers invited to a group can connect to the group through the lifetime of the group
You can use the Peer-to-Peer Grouping API to do the following:
- Create and manage secure peer-to-peer groups
- Enumerate and interact with other peers in a group
- Send data in the form of a record to each node in a peer-to-peer group
By using the Peer-to-Peer Identity Manager API you can create secure peer names that PNRP can use to ensure that a person publishing a name officially owns the name. Peer names are also called identities, and they are used in the Peer-to-Peer Grouping API to identify the individuals in a group.
You can use the Peer-to-Peer Identity Manager API to do the following:
- Create, enumerate, and manage peer-to-peer identities.
The Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure provides a serverless name resolution technology called the PNRP Namespace Provider API. By using the Winsock 2 PNRP Namespace Provider API, a peer, service, computing device, and peer-to-peer group endpoint can manage, register, unregister, and resolve another endpoint in a PNRP cloud.
Note PNRP is an acronym for peer name resolution protocol.
Build date: 1/7/2009