Installation of Isolated Components
Windows Installer performs the following actions during installation of an application when the package contains isolated components. Typically, Component_Shared is a DLL that is shared by Component_Application and other client executables.
- Copy the files of Component_Shared into the same folder as Component_Application only if Component_Application is also being installed.
- Create a zero-byte file with the short file name of the key file of Component_Application. Locate this file in the same folder as Component_Application. Append the extension .LOCAL to this file name.
- Increment the SharedDLL refcount if the msidbComponentAttributesSharedDllRefCount bit is set in the Attributes column of the Component table.
- Register Component_Application as a client of Component_Shared and register a key path pointing to the shared location of Component_Shared.
- Install all of the resources of Component_Application as usual.
If Component_Shared or its key file is already installed on the computer do not copy files to the shared location of Component_Shared.
If Component_Shared or its key file is not yet installed on the computer:
- Copy the files of Component_Shared to the shared location.
- Process all install actions for Component_Shared.
- If Component_Shared is a COM component, register the full COM path such that the syntax [$Component] and [#FileKey] point to the shared location of Component_Shared.
Build date: 11/16/2013