Enterprise Templates and Security
When working with Enterprise Templates, you or your team might encounter the following situations in which you might need to take extra security precautions:
- Creating an application from an Enterprise Template. You use an Enterprise Template or policy file that you have received from a source outside your immediate team, such as in an e-mail message that you were not expecting.
- Distributing an Enterprise Template. You plan to distribute to recipients outside of your team an Enterprise Template or policy file that you have created or customized.
In both cases you should be aware of potential security threats and ways to mitigate them. This section explains what to watch for and how to protect your own team and others.
In This Section
- Security When Using Enterprise Templates
- Points to topics describing security issues that you or your team might encounter when using an Enterprise Template to build an application.
- Security When Distributing Enterprise Templates
- Points to topics describing security issues to consider when you or your team are creating or customizing an Enterprise Template for distribution to others.
- Security of Template and Policy Files
- Explains general recommendations for securing an Enterprise Template project and its files from outside access.
- Enterprise Template Policy Overview
- Describes policy files and how they work.
- Adding Policy to an Existing Application
- Explains how to assign a policy file to a project or change a project's policy file.
- Managing Enterprise Template-Based Projects Through Source Control
- Using Visual SourceSafe through the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE).
- Authoring Policy Files in Template Description Language
- Provides basic guidelines for editing TDL and how to write policy with it.
- Enterprise Template File Descriptions
- Lists various file types used in Enterprise Templates, their purpose, and typical location.
- Defining Template Prototypes
- Describes how to define PROTOTYPES, which define the template's initial structure in Solution Explorer.
- Distributing Policy, Prototypes, and Custom Help
- Managing distributed policy versions and help topics.
- Making Custom Enterprise Templates Available from a Central Location
- Describes ways to make custom Enterprise Templates available to development team members.
- Enterprise Templates Issues
- Provides information about various aspects of using Enterprise Templates.