Debugging Samples and Walkthroughs
Visual Studio .NET 2003
The walkthroughs provided below introduce some important areas of the Visual Studio debugger.
- Debugging an Add-in Project
- Demonstrates how to create and debug a Visual Studio Add-in project, which is a compiled application that uses the Visual Studio automation object model to manipulate or automate the integrated development environment.
- Debugging a Windows Form
- Demonstrates debugging a Windows Form. Steps include creating a new Windows form in C#, setting and removing breakpoints, viewing variables, controlling execution, working in the Watch window, stepping, and attaching.
- Debugging a Web Form
- Illustrates how to debug an ASP.NET Web application (Web form). Steps include creating the Web form, debugging the Web form, setting and removing breakpoints, viewing variables in your application, controlling execution, stepping and continuing, and attaching to the Web form for debugging.
- Debugging an XML Web Service
- Instructs you on debugging an ASP.NET Web Service application. Steps include: creating and debugging the XML Web service, debugging the Web form, setting and removing breakpoints, viewing variables in your application, controlling execution, stepping and continuing, and attaching to the XML Web service for debugging.
- Debugging Hello World, a SQL Stored Procedure
- Demonstrates how to debug stored procedures on a SQL Server. Information includes connecting to a database, creating a stored procedure, stepping into a stored procedure, setting breakpoints, viewing parameters and local variables in the Locals window, and dragging variables from the Text editor into the Watch window.
Debugging Samples for Visual C++
- C Run-Time Samples
- Provides links to samples that show how to use C run-time library functions to debug a program. There are also samples that determine CPU capabilities and show run-time error checks.
- Debugging Samples
- Provides a link to the EEAddIn sample, which uses the Expression Evaluator Add-In API to extend the native debugger expression evaluator.
- Debugging Script and Web Applications
- Describes common debugging problems and techniques you may encounter when debugging script and Web applications. Sections include: debugging ASP.NET and ASP Web applications, debugging ATL Server Web applications, Visual Studio and the Windows Script Debugger, Web server debugging errors, and troubleshooting.
- Debugging Managed Code
- Covers common debugging problems and techniques for applications written in Visual Basic, Visual C#, and Managed Extensions for C++.
- Debugging Home Page
- Provides links to the larger sections of the debugging documentation. Information includes: what's new in the debugger, settings and preparation, breakpoints, handling exceptions, edit and continue, debugging managed code, debugging Visual C++ projects, debugging COM and ActiveX, debugging DLLs, debugging SQL, and the user interface references.