Smart Client and Windows Application Articles
Visual Studio .NET 2003
This topic contains links to articles, product documentation, and MSDN Library topics containing information about creating smart-client applications using Visual Studio .NET tools and technologies.
- Debugging Windows Forms Controls Created with Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET
- Learn the basics of how to debug your user controls, by creating a host application for them to run in. Stepping through code and setting breakpoints will also be discussed.
- Essential Code for Windows Forms Dialog Boxes
- Learn the steps for taking advantage of core functionality of Windows Forms dialog boxes (that is, OpenFileDialog, opening a file; SaveFileDialog, saving a file) that has often not been implemented in the .NET Framework classes.
- Implementing Drag and Drop in Visual Basic .NET
- Demonstrates how to implement drag and drop in common Windows scenarios.
- Navigating Multiple Related Tables in an ADO.NET Dataset
- A dataset in ADO.NET is an in-memory representation of data that can contain multiple related data tables. This paper describes the methods of navigating these related data tables within a dataset. You will create a Windows® application in Visual Basic® .NET or Visual C#™ .NET that returns related records based on a selected record, as well as compile aggregate information for related records using expression columns.
- Shaped Windows Forms and Controls in Visual Studio .NET
- It is easy to customize the shape of both Windows Forms and controls. This article walks you through the steps required to customize non-standard forms using an image file and a few property settings. Custom-shaped controls require merely a few lines of code.
- Using Windows XP Visual Styles With Controls on Windows Forms
- Covers how to incorporate Windows XP visual styles into your Visual Basic and Visual C# Windows applications.
- Walkthrough: Creating a Lookup Table on a Data-bound Windows Form
- Provides step-by-step instructions for creating a lookup table by creating a data entry form for the Orders table in the Northwind database.
- Working with Multiple Forms in Visual Basic .NET: Upgrading to .NET
- Describes how working with multiple forms has changed from previous editions of Microsoft Visual Basic and illustrates several key techniques, including displaying a second form, changing the appearance of another form, and using a form as a dialog.
- Designing Distributed Applications
- Information on application design decisions, such as system architecture, database design, and international considerations, as well as Enterprise Templates.
- Samples and Walkthroughs
- Find out about the latest updates in the Duwamish Online and Fitch and Mather sample applications.
- Creating Windows Applications
- Discusses the making of traditional Windows-based applications.
- Windows Forms Walkthroughs
- Provides step-by-step instructions for creating a number of Windows applications.
- Windows Forms
- Provides links to topics about the technologies and tools for creating Windows applications.
- Windows Forms Controls
- Provides links to topics about the controls designed specifically to work with Windows Forms.
- Windows Service Applications
- Describes how to create long-running executables.
- Accessing Data
- Discusses aspects of incorporating data access functionality into your applications.
- Programming with Components
- Describes components of all kinds, including those you use on servers.
- Building C++ Projects in Visual Studio
- Discusses using the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE) and property pages to build your project.
- .NET Framework
- Find out about the .NET Framework Software Development Kit (SDK), which allows developers to build Web-based applications and services that take advantage of the new .NET Framework technology.
- .NET Framework Class Library in Visual Studio
- Provides links to Visual Studio .NET topics that support the development of features based on classes in the .NET Framework.
MSDN Library Links
- Visual Studio Home page at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/
- Find pointers to product information, technical resources, additional samples and downloads and more.
- Articles and Columns
- Provides links to articles and other resources related to Microsoft® Visual Studio® .NET.
- Visual Basic .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual Basic project and language.
- Visual C# .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual C# project and language.
- Visual C++ .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to the Visual C++ projects and languages, including Managed Extensions for C++.
- JScript .NET Articles
- Provides links to articles specific to scripting technologies.