Record Browser Activity
This topic describes how to create a test by recording a Web browser session.
To create a test by recording a Web browser session
- Start the New Test Wizard.
- Choose the Record new test option, and then click Next.
- Select one of the test type options, and then click Next.
- Click Start recording when you are ready to begin browsing with Internet Explorer.
- Click Stop recording to stop recording. The recording can be stopped and restarted multiple times to avoid recording specific portions of the browsing session. When you have finished recording, click Next.
- On the Test Users dialog box, select Automatically generate users to let Application Center Test manage users and cookies automatically. Neither the user's account information nor the cookies will be stored after the test stops if this option is used. Select Associate global user groups with test to use custom user groups and their associated cookie information. In the the list of user groups, select each group you want to enable for the test, and then click Next.
- In the Test options dialog box, type a name in the Test name box, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to create the test with the settings you specified.
- The default test properties should be edited before running the test. See Setting Test Properties for more information.
If "access denied" errors occur (401 HTTP response codes), the most common reason is that the Web server is using an authentication scheme that is not supported during the recording of a test. The solution is to disable authentication during recording. It can be re-enabled before running the test. For more information, see Supported Authentication Schemes.
Note For creating complex dynamic tests, it might be more convenient to record a browser session as a dynamic test, and then edit the generated source code.