Creating a Report That Uses FsiDataExtension
This section contains a quick walkthrough showing how to create a sample report that uses the sample data extension.
Note You must deploy the sample file share data extension to Report Designer and to the report server before creating a report. You must also enable the generic query designer for the extension. For more information, see Deploying FsiDataExtension.
To create the report project
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, and then click Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project.
- In the Project Types list, click Business Intelligence Projects.
- In the Templates list, click Report Project.
- In Name, type FsiReportProject.
- Click OK to create the report project.
To create the report
- On the Project menu, click Add New Item.
- In the Categories list, click Report Project.
- In the Templates list, click Report.
- In the Name box, type FsiReport, and then click Open.
To add a data source that uses the sample data extension
- In Data view, from Dataset, select <New Dataset...>.
The Data Source dialog box opens.
- On the General tab, in the Name text box, type FsiDataSource.
- In the Type list, select File Share Information.
- Leave ConnectionString empty. The sample data extension does not use a connection string.
- On the Credentials tab, click one of the server logon types. You may enter the user name and password for the file share that your sample data extension will be accessing. Click Use Windows Authentication (Integrated Security), click use a specific username and password and enter credentials, or click prompt for credentials and enter a prompt string.
Security Note Whenever possible, use Windows Authentication. You will most likely be prompted for network credentials any time you attempt to access a network file share.
- Click OK to save the data source.
To view the dataset
- In Data view, the generic query designer is displayed. From Command Type, select Text.
- In the query pane directly below the toolbar of the generic query designer, type the path to a network file share available on your network. For example, type \\Computer1\Public.
- On the toolbar of the generic query designer, click the Run button (!).
The file share data should appear in the results pane below.
To design the report layout
- In Layout view, in the Toolbox, click Table.
- On the design surface, drag and drop the Table control.
- From the Fields window, drag and drop the Name box to the first cell in the Detail row. Add additional fields to the table as desired.
To preview the report
- Click the Preview tab to preview the report. Depending on your credential settings for your FsiDataSource, you may be required to enter a user name and password.