Configuring replication is the process of identifying Publishers, Distributors, and Subscribers across your enterprise, configuring them for replication using Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 tools, and then later modifying or disabling replication if necessary.
The steps for configuring replication are:
- Identifying a Distributor.
- Creating a distribution database on the Distributor.
- Enabling Publishers that will use the Distributor.
- Enabling publication databases.
- Enabling Subscribers that will receive published data.
For ease of implementation, you can use the Configure Distribution and Publishing Wizard, script configuration of distribution and publishing using Transact-SQL system stored procedures, or SQL-DMO. After replication is configured, you can use the Publisher and Distributor properties dialog box, Transact-SQL system stored procedures or SQL-DMO to modify the settings.