Project Data Service Reference for Microsoft Office Project Server 2003
Welcome to the Project Data Service (PDS) reference for Microsoft Office Project Server 2003.
This reference explains how to use the PDS Application Programming Interface (API) to enable client application access to Project Server portfolio data. Client applications can programmatically log on to Project Server and use Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) to call PDS API methods. The PDS implements a SOAP listener, which receives method calls in Extensible Markup Language (XML) format and returns an XML response.
Download The Project Server 2003 PDS Reference (PDSReference.exe) is available from the Microsoft Download Center. The file includes the complete PDS reference and sample applications.
The Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK (pj11SDK2003.exe) is also available from the Microsoft Download Center. The file contains all of the topics and source code samples for the Microsoft Office Project 2003 Software Development Kit, including the complete PDS reference and samples.
See What's New for a list of the new and changed APIs.
This documentation includes example code and information about the following:
- Using the Project Data Service describes how to use the two test utilities in the PDS download.
- The PDS and Project Server Security Architecture explains how the PDS accesses Project Server data, and how to develop applications with the PDS to maintain data security.
- Writing a PDS Extender explains how to develop PDS extensions with the source code template that is included in the PDS download.
- PDS Methods XML describes how to use the XML-based API method to develop applications that can access Microsoft Project Server data from practically any environment.
- Using SOAP to call PDS methods is an overview of how to use SOAP to enable your application to call the PDS.
- Programmatic Logon to Project Server describes how to log on to Microsoft Project Server.
- Using the PDS with Multiple Project Server Sites shows how to configure the Web Service Description Language files to use the PDS and the Service for Enterprise Data Maintenance (EDM) with multiple sites that are hosted by Project Server.
- The API Reference contains reference topics that provide complete details for the PDS API. Methods are grouped into the following categories:
- Error Codes contains a list of PDS error codes and a description of each.
- PDS Permissions contains a list and description of PDS permissions for use with the PermissionCheck method.
- Field ID Values for Enterprise Custom Fields table shows the FieldID and conversion string values for the enterprise custom fields methods.