Installing Full-Text Search and Indexing Tools
The full-text search engine (Microsoft Search service) is installed by default with a typical installation of Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000, Standard and Enterprise editions.
Important If upgrading from SQL Server 7.0 to SQL Server 2000 and full-text search is not installed in SQL Server 7.0, install full-text search as an additional component after the upgrade is completed.
Microsoft Indexing Service Version 2.0
In addition to using full-text search on character columns in SQL Server data, you can use Microsoft Indexing Service along with Microsoft Search service to make textual queries against data residing in the file system. This indexing service is included in Microsoft Windows® 2000. Microsoft Windows NT® users can install the indexing service from the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack.
To install Microsoft Indexing Service 2.0 (Windows NT only)
- Install Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack.
- Select Index Server 2.0. An error appears stating that Index Server 2.0 did not install properly.
- Install Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4.
- Reinstall Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack. You are not required to change any settings.
- Optional step: Repeat the reinstallation of Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4.
Repeating this procedure ensures proper installation.