Getting Started with Office Developer
Microsoft® Office XP Developer provides everything for developers building solutions with Microsoft Office XP. Office Developer includes professional productivity tools, documentation, and sample code for quickly building, managing, and deploying solutions with Office and Office components.
Office XP makes it possible for developers to take advantage of application programmability to access a rich platform of pre-built functionality on which they can build custom solutions. Application programmability refers to the extent to which an application can be customized and integrated with other applications to deliver a seamless, tailored solution with which users are familiar. Building solutions on top of productivity applications results in faster development cycles and satisfied users, because organizational data can be delivered directly into productivity applications that users work with every day.
Before you get started, you might want to read about the meaning of the various typefaces you will see in Help, the style used for writing code samples, and what is new in Office XP Developer. When you are ready to start working, check the requirements for setting up Office XP Developer and the guidelines for installing the components you must have.
In This Section
- Typographic Conventions
- Find out what certain typefaces mean when used in Help topics.
- Code Samples and Programming Style
- Understand sample code more clearly by reading about the style conventions.
- Using the Code Samples
- Use the provided code samples as they are or as the basis for your own custom code.
- What's New in Office XP Developer
- See some of the new features that have been added to Microsoft® Office XP Developer.
- Setting Up Microsoft Office XP Developer
- Learn what you must have to set up Microsoft® Office XP Developer components correctly on your development computer and the server.
- Upgrading from Previous Versions
- Follow these guidelines for upgrading to make sure you migrate all of your work to the new version.
- Product Support
- Find information about technical support, accessibility, copyright, and the Readme files for Microsoft® Office XP Developer.
- The topics in this section provide mini-tutorials that walk you through some typical application development scenarios using Microsoft® Office XP Developer.
- Developing Office Developer Applications
- Microsoft® Office XP Developer provides the productivity tools professional developers must have to build solutions faster, integration tools to make their solutions work seamlessly with data and the Web, and management tools to simplify deploying and managing the solutions they build with Office.
- Using Web Technologies with Office XP
- The applications in the Microsoft® Office XP suite always have focused on making it easy to create powerful documents. However, these documents have not been always easy to share with large groups of people. In the last few years, the popularity of the Internet and corporate intranets has exploded, because they make it so easy to disseminate information to a wide audience.
- Programming Concepts
- When you program, you store data and manipulate it with a series of instructions. The data and data storage containers are the raw materials of programming. The tools you use to manipulate this raw material are commands, functions, and operators.
- The Microsoft® Office XP Developer reference includes information on productivity tools and the controls, objects, properties, methods, events, statements, functions, and constants available.
- The Microsoft® Office XP Developer sample applications are designed to make it possible for you see how the sample works, how it is coded, and how you can apply its features in your own applications.
- Microsoft Office Developer Center
- For additional information and resources for Office developers, visit the Office Developer Web site at http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/. This Web site will be updated regularly with the latest information.