Visual Basic Language Walkthroughs
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Walkthroughs give step-by-step instructions for common scenarios, which makes them a good place to start learning about the product or a particular feature area.
In This Section
- Declaring and Raising Events
- Illustrates how events are declared and raised in Visual Basic .NET.
- Handling Events
- Shows how to handle events using either the standard WithEvents keyword or the new AddHandler/RemoveHandler keywords.
- Defining Classes
- Describes how to declare a class and its fields, properties, methods, and events.
- Calling Windows APIs
- Explains how to use Declare statements and call Windows APIs. Includes information about using attributes to control marshaling for the API call and how to expose an API call as a method of a class.
- Creating and Implementing Interfaces
- Shows how interfaces are declared and implemented in Visual Basic .NET.
- Shows how to create a multithreaded application that searches a text file for occurrences of a word.
- Structured Exception Handling
- Demonstrates how to create and maintain programs with comprehensive error handling, and how to use Try...Catch...Finally.
- Creating COM Objects with Visual Basic .NET
- Demonstrates how to create COM objects in Visual Basic .NET, both with and without the COM class template.
- Implementing Inheritance with COM Objects
- Demonstrates how to use Visual Basic 6.0 to create a COM object containing a class, and then use it as a base class in Visual Basic .NET.
- Creating Your Own Collection Class
- Describes how to use inheritance to create a simple, strongly typed collection inherited from the CollectionBase class.
- Manipulating Files and Folders in Visual Basic .NET
- Demonstrates how to use Visual Basic functions to determine information about a file, search for a string in a file, and write to a file.
- Manipulating Files Using .NET Framework Methods
- Demonstrates how to use .NET Framework methods to determine information about a file, search for a string in a file, and write to a file.
- Interacting with Files and Folders in Visual Basic .NET
- Illustrates how to interact with files and folders by creating an application that examines text files in a folder and returns information about the files.
- Visual Basic Walkthroughs
- Provides links to Visual Basic walkthroughs covering distributed applications, data, Web services, Windows Forms, Web Forms, component and control authoring, Framework Services, upgrading, internationalization, and accessibility.