Windows Service Template
The Windows Service template adds the necessary items needed to create a Windows Service application, a long-running executable application that runs in its own Windows session. For more information, see Introduction to Windows Service Applications.
The template automatically adds the essential project references and files to use as a starting point for your application:
- AssemblyInfo (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs file for Visual C#) - Used to describe the assembly and specify versioning information. For more information, see Programming with Assemblies.
- Service file (.cs file for Visual C# or .vb file for Visual Basic) - Contains the designer file, which is stored in the solution directory.
- References to these .NET Framework namespaces:
- System - Contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly used values and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes, and processing exceptions.
- System.Data - Contains classes that constitute the ADO.NET architecture, which is the primary data access method for managed applications.
- System.ServiceProcess - Contains classes that allow you to install and run services, which are long-running executables with no user interface.
- System.Xml - Contains classes that provide standards-based support for processing XML.