Download the Preview:
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express
Community Technology Preview 2 (CTP2)
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs. The SQL Server 2014 Express release includes the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio instead of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio Express.
You can download the following editions of Express from this page:
- LocalDB (SqlLocalDB)
- LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all its programmability features, yet runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and short list of pre-requisites. Use this if you need a simple way to create and work with databases from code. It can be bundled with Application and Database Development tools like Visual Studio and or embedded with an application that needs local databases.
- Express (SQLEXPR)
- Express edition includes the SQL Server database engine only. Best suited to accept remote connections or administer remotely.
- Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT)
- This package contains everything needed to install and configure SQL Server as a database server including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. Choose either LocalDB or Express depending on your needs above.
- SQL Server Management Studio Express (SQLManagementStudio)
- This does not contain the database, but only the tools to manage SQL Server instances, including LocalDB, SQL Express, SQL Azure, full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio with SP1, etc. Use this if you already have the database and only need the management tools.
- Express with Advanced Services (SQLEXPRADV)
- This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.
| ||Review the SQL Server 2014 CTP2
| ||Register, then download and install full-featured software for preview.|
| ||Receive one (1) email with resources to guide you through your preview.|
|64-bit (.exe) and 32-bit (.exe)|
|English, Chinese (Traditional), German, Japanese, Spanish|
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 8, Window 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Processor: Intel - compatible processor with a minimum speed of 1 GHz or a faster processor
- RAM: Minimum 512 MB for SQL Server Express with Tools, and SQL Server Express with Advanced Services and 4 GB for Reporting Services that installs with SQL Server Express with Advanced Services
- Hard Disk Space: 4.2 GB of Disk Space
Limitations: Microsoft SQL Server Express supports 1 physical processor, 1 GB memory, and 10 GB storage
Installation for the NEW users
- Step 1: Enable
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. and Download and install
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.
- Note: SQL Server Express (with database engine only) can work with either .NET 3.5 SP1 or .NET 4, there is no need to have both enabled.
- Step 2: Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 Express by clicking the appropriate link earlier, run it, and follow the instructions in the setup wizard to install.
Installation for the Existing Users
- If you have an existing installation of Express with Tools, SQL Server Management Studio Express, or Express with Advanced Services, and want to add the complete SQL Server Management Studio feature to your Express instance, do the following:
- Step 1: Download the required Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 Express file to update your current SQL Server 2014 Express installation by clicking the appropriate link earlier.
- Step 2: Run the file, and follow the instructions in the setup wizard to install. On the Installation Type page, select Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server, and select the instance you would like to update.
- Step 3: On the Feature Selection page, select the Management Tools – Complete check box, and then proceed to complete the installation.
- Note: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 Express includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. SQLEXPR32_x86 is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server 2014 Express onto only 32-bit operating systems. SQLEXPR_x86 is the same product but supports installation onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WoW) operating systems. SQLEXPR_x64 is a native 64-bit SQL Server 2014 Express and supports installation onto only 64-bit operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.
|Access technical product resources—such as evaluation guides, training courses, and forums—at the
SQL Server 2014 Express CTP2 Resource Page.|
Community and Forums