Summary of Changes Required to Port a Filter Driver to NDIS 6.20
This topic summarizes the changes that are required to port an NDIS 6.x filter driver to NDIS 6.20.
NDIS 6.20 retains backward compatibility with earlier NDIS versions. For more information about backward compatibility, see NDIS 6.20 Backward Compatibility.
To update a filter driver to support the NDIS 6.20 environment, you must modify the NDIS 6.x filter driver as follows:
- Build Environment
Replace the preprocessor definition NDIS61 or NDIS60 with NDIS620.
- General Porting Requirements
Replace obsolete interfaces with NDIS 6.20 versions. For more information about obsolete interfaces, see Obsolete Interfaces in NDIS 6.20.
Update the following interfaces to support more than 64 processors:
- Receive side scaling (RSS)
- Processor information device driver interfaces
- Resource allocation
- Read and write locks
For more information about supporting more than 64 processors, see Support for More than 64 Processors in NDIS 6.20.
- Driver Initialization
Set the filter driver version in the MajorDriverVersion and MinorDriverVersion members of the NDIS_FILTER_DRIVER_CHARACTERISTICS structure to an appropriate driver-specific value.
- Filter Module Attach and Detach Operations
- Use the latest version of the miniport adapter capabilities advertisement interfaces. The
following interfaces have updated capabilities:
- Power Management
- Receive-side scaling (RSS)
- Hardware assist (VMQ)
Use the updated versions of these structures:
For information about NDIS structure version information, see Specifying NDIS Version Information.
- Use the latest version of the miniport adapter capabilities advertisement interfaces. The following interfaces have updated capabilities:
- Send and Receive Data Paths