Windows Event Log Reference
The following are the programming elements that you use to create an instrumentation manifest, create resources from the manifest that your provider uses, get instrumentation metadata at run time, and query events from channels and log files:
- EventManifest Schema
- Event Schema
- Query Schema
- Windows Event Log Constants
- Windows Event Log Data Types
- Windows Event Log Enumerations
- Windows Event Log Functions
- Windows Event Log Structures
- Windows Event Log Tools
For applications written using a .NET language, such as C# or Visual Basic, see the following namespaces:
- To write events, use the classes and methods defined in the System.Diagnostics.Eventing namespace.
- To consume events from a Windows Event Log channel or log, use the classes and methods defined in the System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader namespace.
As an alternative to using the System.Diagnostics.Eventing namespace to write events, you can use the -cs or -css argument to have the message compiler generate the code to write the events. For details, see Message Compiler.
Build date: 11/16/2013