Information to Collect Before Setup
Before running the Setup wizard, you'll want to have the following information at hand:
- The Product Key – the 25-character code on the yellow sticker on your Windows CD holder.
- The name of the user and the organization associated with the computer on which the product will be installed.
- The name (if any) of the computer on which the product will be installed, and the password for the administrator. The password is required, and must be at least six characters long and contain letters, numbers, and symbols. For more information about password requirements, click here.
- The default language and standards to use for formatting currency, dates, etc. – Example: English, Australia.
- The geographical location and time zone of the computer on which the product will be installed.
- The file system to use (NTFS is recommended, but FAT32 can also be used).
- The TCP/IP Settings, DNS Server address, and WINS server for the computer on which the product will be installed (all three can also be obtained automatically if the network supports this).
- If the computer is part of a workgroup, you’ll need the workgroup name. If the computer is a member of domain, you’ll need the domain name, and the user name and password of a user who has permission to add computers to the domain (if required for the domain).