Cryptographic Service Providers
The Cryptographic Service Providers component provides the following cryptographic functionality:
- Bulk data encryption
- Cryptographic hashing, including Media Access Control (MAC) and Hash Message Authentication Code (HMAC)
- RSA and DSA digital signatures
- RSA key exchange
- Diffie-Hellman key exchange
- Public/private key storage
There are no services for this component. Crypto API is implemented as a set of dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), which run in-process.
This component interacts with other components in the following ways:
- Crypto API, when used to store public/private key pairs, is dependent on the Data Protection API (DPAPI) component.
- The file system is required for public/private key storage. User keys are stored in the user profile. However, machine keys have no user profile requirement.
- Cryptographic Service Provider (CSP) registration information is read from the system registry.
To allow persisted storage of private keys, the Data Protection API component is required.
There are no configurable settings for this component.
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.