If you have components that are too granular, such as two components that are always included together in configurations, you can combine them into a single component.
To combine components
- Decide which component will contain all of the functionality. All other components will be retired.
- In Component Designer, open the appropriate component definition (.sld) files.
- Set each retiring component to end-of-life status.
- To each retiring component, add a component branch resource that references the remaining active component. This ensures that any existing configurations that use the retired components will still function correctly.
- Copy all of the resources, dependencies, and group memberships from the retired components to the remaining active component.
- Re-import the .sld files into the component database.
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.